Friday, June 18, 2010

Spoiled, but why?

I just completed the Beth Moore bible study on Esther. It was, as all of hers are, AWESOME!! During one of the weeks of the study Beth asked a question: Are we strong or just spoiled? Her thought behind this question was to consider where God has placed us in this life.

I received an email last week from our church asking if anyone could help a family out with child care. The mom was starting a new job and would need a week to get the children enrolled in day care. I offered to help and kept the kids for the last five days. It was a crazy and chaotic five days as I had one 7yr old, one 5 year old, three 2 year olds and one 11mth old. At times I had an additional 7 yr old as my neighbors son would come over to play. We survived and my house is back to normal, but during these last 5 days God taught me and opened my eyes beyond my little box.

This family had been evicted from their home because they were unable to pay their rent. They lived in a shelter for a little while and were now trying to start over. The dad was not allowed to live with the family until he completed court mandated anger management classes. They drove an older car with out a/c. They had a week's worth of clothes, a couch, tv and a kitchen table. Though the mom had access to get food, I am not sure how often she took advantage of that opportunity, as the kids had healthy appetites. Fruit snacks and popcorn were not staples in their house, nor crayons and coloring books. Yet they were sweet happy children. Full of energy, rambunctious and loving.

I know with out a doubt that I am spoiled by God. Undeserving of his grace, but completely accepted by him. This week was a confirmation of how much he does spoil me. My husband is loving, caring, patient, gentle and slow to speak. He is an excellent father and husband. He faithfully comes home every night. I do not wonder if he will return in the morning or even what time he will come home. For every night at 6:05 he walks through the door. My precious little angels have a room to themselves. A room that has a bed, soft sheets, cuddly blanket, pillows, stuff animals and soft music that soothes them to sleep. I have a home that is furnished, air conditioned, has hot water for a shower, a laundry room, microwave, stove, oven, garage and automatic garage door. (these kids had no idea how that worked!) My car is less than 5 years old, a fantastic a/c and room for 8. Though their are many weeks and months that we scratch our heads on how in the world will God get us through. He faithfully pays our bills each month. He faithfully feeds us each month. He faithfully supplies our gas so that we can drive each month. He faithfully keeps our marriage together. He faithfully gives Jeremy a pay check every other Friday. He faithfully guides us each month, week, day, hour, minute and every second.

Our God is faithful. I am spoiled. Yet I ask myself why? Why did these children get placed in the situation they are in. They did not ask for it, nor do they deserve it. The only explanation is this. We live in a fallen world. God does not say our time on Earth will be a peaceful one with out strife. For he says over and over, that he places us in this world to reach others and show them that the only way to get through life on Earth is with him. For when he returns, we will be united in heaven with him. Seeing him face to face and then begin living in a perfect world. Our job as Christians is to reach out to families like this one and be Christ love to them.

I am humbled and thankful that I got the opportunity to this family, love on them and start a friendship with them. They have just started going to our church and I hope they continue. God provided for us to have the extra money this past week to feed them. He provided me with patience to get through each day and words to speak when I needed to rein in their energy. Though I know there were many times I let my tiredness get the best of my attitude and I pray that they will not remember the last hour of each day that I was wearing thin. God convicted me of complaining when I asked for a chance to serve. He reminded me of scripture that a true servants heart does not complain, but rejoices with a chance to serve him. I did not perfect that trait this week, but I did grow. Praise God! This family will forever hold a place in my heart and I hope our friendship is only beginning.